This is one of my faves! It can be a stand-alone meal and it works as a side dish.
When I made the transition to a plant-based diet, the one thing I found hardest to give up was cheese. For a while I was a cheese-eating vegan as I had managed to avoid everything else! I’d read about people using different things to substitute cheese so I concocted this recipe.
- Add 1 cup of raw, unsalted cashew nuts to 1 cup of water and let them soak for a few minutes.
- Add both to a blender along with 1 tablespoon of Violife cream cheese, half a cup of soy milk and a sprinkle of mixed herbs.
- Blend it!
- Cook your pasta and drain it. I used approximately 5 cups of pasta but you can adjust it depending on personal preference.
- While the pasta is cooking, finely chop a quarter of a red onion and 2 portobello mushrooms.
- Add the blended sauce to a saucepan on a low heat, add 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast and half a cup of soy milk, the onion and mushrooms. Stir and wait for it to boil.
- Add pasta, stir it all together and viola!
The cashews make it really filling and add protein, while the mixture of nuts, nutritional yeast and Violife give it a nutty cheesy taste. I always make enough so I have lunch for the next day as well; it’s yummy cold too!
What do you use as a cheese substitute?
Or do you avoid it all together?